Come and pick flowers, blueberries, and apples in season. Or buy fresh-picked fruit (blueberries, raspberries, peaches, apples) flowers, and vegetables, as well as a variety of locally made products like maple syrup, honey, unique gifts, and much more at our farm store. We also sell eggs from our own pastured chickens. Farmstand hours.
Our beautifully renovated 100-year-old barn is available for weddings and special events. Learn more.
In addition to our orchards and vegetable and flower gardens, we are stewards of 200 acres of meadows, forest, a spring-fed pond, and a sparkling brook. Dozens of nesting bird species and a wide range of other animals live on or frequent our farm, including bears, bobcats, otters, foxes, and beavers. Our wetlands support a variety of turtles, salamanders, fish and seven kinds of frogs and toads. Fields and forests provide food and habitat for important native pollinators.
Check out our wildlife videos on our YouTube channel.
Quonquont (pronounced kwan-kwant) was a 17th-century leader of the indigenous Nonotuck people who lived along the Connecticut River. His name appears on the 1658 deed to Hadley. In 1672, his widow Sarah and children signed a deed to lands in present-day Hatfield and Whately.
The first building on the farm property was a wayside tavern built in 1759. In the early 1800s, our brook was dammed to operate a tannery and two cider brandy distilleries. By 1860, our farm was raising dairy and beef cattle, as well as tobacco.
In 1922, the property became the Quonquont Stock and Dairy Farm, a nationally known breeder of Holstein-Friesian cattle. The giant Quonquont milk bottle (now located on the Whately town common) was originally part of the farm’s ‘Milk Bar’ restaurant on Routes 5&10 that offered sandwiches, milk, and soda. In summer, ice cream was served from the 19-foot-high milk bottle structure.
In the early 1970s, Howard Hoxie planted today’s apple, peach, and blueberry orchards. The farm’s current owners bought the 200-acre property in 2000, continuing Mr. Hoxie’s tradition of growing wholesome fruit for local families. In 2011, we completed renovations to our 100-year-old tobacco barn and opened the lovely and historic property for special events.
Header photo “special events” by Mark Spooner Photography