To adequately celebrate the blueberry, we must eat! As part of our Blueberry Festival, we’ve invited local pastry chefs to create something special for the Bake Off and we’re also soliciting entries from Valley home cooks, and junior home cooks ages 14 and under. Do you have a killer blueberry dessert recipe? See how it stacks up against other local home cooks by entering Quonquont’s Great Blueberry Bake Off, Home Baker Division. Details below.
All entries are eligible for a People’s Choice Award (determined by Blueberry Festival attendees) as well as a Local Celebrity’s Choice Award (selected by cookbook author and “Diva of Deliciousness” Tinky Weisblat).
Second Annual Blueberry Bake Off Rules
- The dessert MUST contain Blueberries.
- The recipe must be original. It can be a family recipe, one you created, recipes you’ve combined, but it cannot be one pulled off the internet or out of a cookbook. No plagiarism.
- The dessert must be able to fill at least 100 sample cups (supplied by Quonquont). Serving size example: a 3 oz Dixie cup filled with a tablespoon sized portion. (Please do not submit 100 full sized items! You can submit 50 and we, Quonquont, will cut them in half or even smaller if necessary.)
- The dessert can come in any form. Our staff will divvy up your dessert into the appropriate amount of samples. We discourage desserts requiring constant refrigeration prior to serving.
- You must submit an ingredients list with your dessert entry. This does not need to be the full recipe with amounts, but it does need to list all ingredients to help identify possible allergens.
- Only one dessert submission per person.
- If you participated in our 2018 Blueberry Bake Off, we ask that you submit a different dessert from last year.
- Our categories for competition this year (2019) will be:
- Junior Home Bakers (Ages 14 & under)
- Home Bakers (Ages 15 and up)
- Professional Bakers (You are a professional baker if you bake for a living.)
- Please select your category when completing your registration
- We will be offering two prizes per category: People’s Choice and Local Celebrity’s Choice
- People’s Choice will be awarded through votes given by the public. Each member of the public will taste each dessert then they will be able to vote for their favorites by placing a marble in a jar. The dessert with the most marbles in each category will win. In the event that there is a tie, Quonquont staff members will decide the winner. Marbles will be purchased 4 for $1.00 with all proceeds going to the Food Bank of Western Mass.
- Local Celebrity’s Choice will be awarded to the dessert that the Celebrity believes tastes the best. There are no ties possible for this award and the Celebrity’s decision will be final.
- UPDATE: We want to be sure we have enough table space for your tasty delights, so please register to compete by end of day SATURDAY JULY 20TH. Submit your entry below.
- Home Bakers:
- your dessert must be delivered on Sunday July 21st, the day of the Blueberry Festival, between 9 and 11 am.
- Professional Bakers:
- if you would like to deliver your dessert, your dessert must be delivered on Sunday July 21st between 9 and 11 a.m. Otherwise, pick up of your dessert can be arranged for Saturday July 20th.
- We welcome promotional signs and business cards so please have them prepared and ready to be displayed with your dessert.
Have fun and be creative!!! Remember all proceeds will go to the Food Bank of Western Mass!